A scholar of the Nazi period explains why fake news may be a more powerful authoritarian tool than secret police.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
Half of Americans think the United States is in “real danger of becoming a nondemocratic, authoritarian country.”
A majority, 55 percent, see democracy as “weak” – and 68 percent believe it is “getting weaker.”
by Holly Case
Last century’s dictators wanted to reinvent their subjects as "new men." This century’s strongmen just don’t care. Why?
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Russian Historian Professor, Found With Bag of Severed Arms, Admits He Killed Student
- Navy Submarine, Missing for 75 Years, Is Found Off Okinawa
- The Battle Between NBC and CBS To Be the First To Film a Berlin Wall Tunnel Escape
- Battlefields around the world are finding new purpose as parks and refuges