Expelling the Poor
Originally published 03/21/2017
Where did the policy come from? When and why was it introduced in the United States? Who was the target of removal law? How were deportation laws enforced? In "Expelling the Poor," historian Hidetaka Hirota answers these questions in revealing the roots of immigration restriction in the United States.
Originally published 02/02/2017
Immigration historian Hidetaka Hirota says Trump’s proposal to block immigrants in need of public assistance is not new
"Immigration restriction in the United States was rooted in poverty.”
- Karen L. Cox says historians shouldn’t be afraid to embrace YouTube to reach millennials
- You Know Your History? These Podcasts Aren’t So Sure.
- Victor Davis Hanson says Trump Must "Retire as Twitter Champ”
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past