SOURCE: Business Insider
Democrats May Beat Trump in November and Still not Learn the Most Important Lesson from his Presidency
by Daniel Bessner
Democrats must not just defeat Trump; they must commit to fighting a culture of elite impunity that has enabled the rise of Trump and an unaccountable Republican Party.
by Jeffrey J. Matthews
Powell’s outstanding service as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff notwithstanding, the perpetual lionizing of the general has had the effect of misbalancing the historical record. Despite of—or because of—his popularity and patriotic achievements, Powell has not been held to account for some of his major failings as a public servant.
by Teresa Meade
His career stretches back through some of the most sordid instances of US intervention and brutality.
SOURCE: CBS News
"We are not focused on the events of the 1980s. We are focused on the events of 2019."
by Jeffrey J. Matthews
And what it means for George H.W. Bush's legacy.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
The presidency survived the Watergate, Iran-contra and Clinton scandals. Trump will exact a higher toll.
by Carlos Lozada
Histories of past presidential scandals reveal common threads and turning points -- but also show how Trump stands alone.
by Donne Levy
This is the first presidential scandal involving a foreign government interfering with our election process and possible collusion by the man who won the election.
The idea that at some point party loyalty goes out the window and politicians become nonpartisan statesmen doesn’t hold up historically.
SOURCE: The Nation
by Greg Grandin
On the 30th anniversary, we can see that it was an ideological project, with the New Right reasserting the righteousness of militarism and markets.
- Black Family and Kansas History Converge at Nicodemus Reunion
- Law is Unclear Whether Public College Faculty Have Free Speech Rights in Classroom
- Recovering the Story of the Black Men who were the Nation's First Paramedics
- U of Idaho Advises Faculty of Legal Jeopardy for Discussing Abortion in Classrooms
- The Long Shadow of Pinochet Over Chile's Constitutional Referendum
- Misha Matsumoto Yee is Gilder Lehrman's History Teacher of the Year
- Aaron Burr: The Highest Ranking US Official to be Charged with Treason – So Far?
- When Italian Immigrants were Tricked into Debt Peonage in the Jim Crow South
- Joshua Tait: Will Thiel-Backed Extremists Torpedo GOP Senate Hopes?
- Marcus Weaver-Hightower on the Politics of School Lunch