Originally published 11/27/2017
Dartmouth’s Douglas Irwin agrees that trade policy is important. But all manner of powers are wrongly laid at its door.
Only twice has the broad direction of trade policy shifted, according to Mr Irwin. Both reconfigurations were triggered by catastrophic events.
Originally published 09/20/2016
Mr. Trump has said that as president he would “rip up” international trade deals. And there’s very little Congress can do to stop him, even if the result is a costly trade war.
- Pakistani Historian Mobarak Haidar says Muslims “have no religious basis to rule Jerusalem”
- AHA Announces Last-Minute Sessions Timed to News Events
- In Australia, historians and artists have turned to cartography to record the widespread killing of Indigenous people
- Columbia’s William Connell tells NPR why Italian-Americans embraced Columbus
- Scholar risked everything to tell Islamic State’s secrets