SOURCE: The New York Times
When James Baldwin Squared Off Against William F. Buckley Jr.
Nicholas Buccola's book, "The Fire Is Upon Us: James Baldwin, William F. Buckley Jr., and the Debate Over Race in America" examines the debates between Baldwin and Buckley. The book is available now.
SOURCE: New York Times
September 30, 2019
The Forgotten History of America’s Worst Racial Massacre
by Nan Elizabeth Woodruff
Hundreds of black citizens were killed in Elaine, Arkansas, a century ago this week.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
September 15, 2019
William F. Buckley Jr. vs. James Baldwin: A racial showdown on the American dream
Hundreds of thousands of people have watched the riveting 1965 debate between the two writers — one white, the other black — on YouTube.
Beyond Textbooks: Massachusetts Schools Find New Ways To Teach Racial History
Textbooks are often thought of as a critical tool for teachers in the classroom. But when it comes to teaching the history of race in the United States, WBUR has found that more and more teachers in Massachusetts are moving away from traditional textbooks.
- House Hearings on Campus Speech Show Different Perceptions of the Problem
- Mark Russell, DC's Piano-Playing Political Satirist, Dies at 90
- Trans Texans, Fearing Violence Inspired by Legislation and Rhetoric, Look to Armed Self-Defense
- How Paris Kicked out the Cars
- Vatican Repudiates "Doctrine of Discovery" that Justified Colonialism by Catholic Nations