WILL TSUNAMI AID BE USED TO BUY CHILD SOLDIERS FOR THE TAMIL TIGERS?
Yesterday I was sadly reminded yet again about my May 2002 article Can You Really Make Peace with Somebody Like Arafat? which ended thus: "Be that as it may, the collapse of the Colombian and Israel attempts to change the spots of their leopards does not bode well for Sri Lanka's recent attempt to change the stripes of the Tamil Tigers. Indeed, it is time to rethink the entire process."
I was reading what seemed like a hopeful article "Foes Will Need to Be Friends in Rebuilding of Sri Lanka" Nice, I thought until I read the sympathetic account of the Tiger's demand for control of a portion of the foreign aid coming to help post tsunami rebuilding. Why? because only that way will the tigers be able to compete with the government in delivering foreign aid. In other words, the Tsunami aid is going to pay for the strengthening of the terrorist movement which invented homicide bombing.
Then came worse! It was hidden in plain sight in the midst of an interview with a Tamil who has been raising money for the rebels in Britain (It seems that London can proudly add Tamilistan to its name of Londonistan) who is currently in Sri Lanka: "Asked about the widespread reports of the rebel recruitment of child soldiers - UNICEF has said 40 children have been drafted since the tsunami alone, a charge the Tigers denied - Mr. Vairavamoorthy said he was unaware of he allegations."
"We have had 40 verified cases by UNICEF of child recruitment of the LTTE since the tsunami. When we say verified, these are cases that have come to our attention from families or concerned people, which we were able to check out and basically take to the LTTE as a complaint," he said. . . .
But Mr. Dawes says few of the children were recruited from camps for displaced people - suggesting that there may be broader strategy at work.
"What is interesting about the figures is that out of the 40, four were taken out of the displacement camps - which suggest that it is a general recruitment amongst the population," he said.
There was no immediate reaction to the accusation from the Tamil Tigers.
UNICEF charges that the rebels have recruited children to serve as soldiers for years. The organization says the rebels took more than 35-hundred children during an 18-month period between 2002 and 2004. UNICEF Charges Sri Lanka Rebels with Recruiting Child Soldiers
3500 Children recruited and this is called a PEACE PROCESS? Where are the Norwegian mediators? Why are they not raising the roof? Now Tsunami aid money is going to go to these monsters who are certain to use it to buy additional child soldiers?
comments powered by Disqus
- Sources: McMaster Mocked Trump’s Intelligence at a Private Dinner
- The JFK assassination files lead back to Seattle
- Princeton investigates its connection to slavery at a two-day symposium
- Rare Documents Show a Palm Reader's Take on Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt
- A Photo of Billy the Kid Bought for $10 at a Flea Market May Be Worth Millions
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race
- Heather Ann Thompson says what went on at Attica is worse than we thought
- Princeton’s Jan T. Gross warns that Poland’s showing signs of turning decisively in a fascist direction
- Gar Alperovitz is still pushing to make America more democratic
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”