FOR THE EU, "SOFT POWER" EQUALS APPEASEMENT - THAT IS THE LESSON OF THEIR CUBAN POLICY
Everything you wanted to learn about the true meaning of EU's advocacy of soft power can be found by looking at its treatment of Cuba. It suspended relations with the tyrant when he arrested 75 dissidents and restored them after they freed 14. Havel tried to explain to the EU that dictators do not respond to appeasement but while Bush listened to Sharansky, the Europeans mostly ignored Havel. Read "EU policy would have further marginalized opponents of Castro" by Matt Reynolds in The Prague Post Online.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook