Gore Vidal's "America First" Critique of Bush
Vidal is not a typical partisan leftist in his approach to the war. In his comments, he reveals yet again that his views are closer to the old America First Committee than they are to the knee-jerk partisan Bush haters in groups like MoveOn.org . While Vidal's critique of Bush is merciless, he also takes a swipe at the sins of FDR including his unforgivable decision to turn away Jewish refugees fleeing to the U.S. on the S.S. St. Louis. Few Move On activists would ever do this.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rare silent Native American movie of 1920s attracting a lot of interest
- It happened in Idaho and was the largest massacre of Indians in US history, but where exactly did it take place?
- Junípero Serra’s Missions Destroyed Entire Native Cultures. And Now He’s Going to Be a Saint.
- Isis destruction of Palmyra's Temple of Bel revealed in satellite images
- McKinley's lost his mountain. Should we still remember his presidency?
- Japanese historian upends the familiar narrative of WW 2 by taking a bottom up approach, focusing on fascism from the grassroots
- Holocaust-denying historian David Irving organises 'disgusting' £2,000-a-head holiday tours of former concentration camps and Hitler's HQ so people can 'make up their own mind about the truth'
- 72 history professors sign letter urging removal of Jefferson Davis statue from Kentucky Capitol
- 10 Years After Katrina, the Enduring Value of the Hurricane Digital Memory Bank
- Historian author Antony Beevor says his new World War 2 book may anger Americans