Gaston saw a weakness to the civil rights movement that other prosperous African American men like him saw as well: lack of focus on the importance of economic prosperity; the tendency, to this very day, of civil rights leaders to lead marches where time and time again the slogans include cries like,"Give us jobs!" rather than emphasizing that African Americans should think more like entrepreneurs and place a greater emphasis on being well-educated.Read the rest
comments powered by Disqus
David Timothy Beito - 1/20/2005
I agree with you about Under the Knife. Pearson is an elegant, clear stylist who is a good sense of narrative, drama, and nuance. In my research for Mississippi, I found examples of black doctors performing abortions on members of the white elite.
I know for sure that Pearson knows about Schuyler because I sent him some of my blogs on the subject.
Kenneth R Gregg - 1/19/2005
Good for him! Pearson is a fine writer who has clearly found a specific niche in describing successful african-americans. His biography of his uncle in "Under the Knife" is another example, and I like the material in his website NYAge.net (at this point, I'm tempted to ask if he has knows about Schuyler, but going to bite my lip before everyone thinks/knows I've become obsessed with him!).
Just a thought.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity