ERIC SCHMIDT ESCHEWS RESPONSIBILITY
The man has chutzpah, or as Barack Obama likes to say, audacity. Google routinely succumbs to demands of tyrannies such as China and Iran that Google help them to censor the web. The Mullahs used Western technology to identify, jail and kill dozens if not hundreds of Iranians who risked bypassing that censorship.
Instead of apologizing for the harm leading edge companies caused the protesters, the Google CEO has the nerve to argue that the recent Iranian uprising demonstrated that the Censorship of the web is futile.
Really? Then explain the email an Iranian girl sent to a Tennis chat site asking that one of its members paste the content of a news article instead of linking to it as she could not access the news site it was in.
THE ARTICLE SHE COULD NOT ACCESS DEALT WITH WIMBELTON!
Eric Schmidt should be ashamed of himself. Embarrassed silence is the least he could do. Making amends would require a steadfast refusal to provide dictatorship (and, yes, democracies are different and should be treated as such) with the means to censor the web. Leadership would mean working to convince fellow Internet technology companies to do the same.
At the moment Google like Yahoo and Siemens have all blood on their hands.
comments powered by Disqus
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns is in a race to slow us down
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history