MALBRUNOT - KIDNAPPERS DRIVEN NOT BY IRAQ BUT BY ISLAMIC HOLY WAR
Hostage talks of Planet bin LadenFrom correspondents in Paris:
ONE of two French journalists freed after a four-month hostage ordeal in Iraq has described their captivity as being"immersed in Planet (Osama) bin Laden".
Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot had spent their first day back in France recounting details of their ordeal to the foreign intelligence agency, DGSE.
"One of the lessons we drew from our captivity was that we were immersed in Planet Bin Laden, especially when we were in a cell of the Islamic Army in the north" of Iraq, Mr Malbrunot told France 2 public television.
"We really understood that these kidnappers were driven not by an Iraqi agenda, but by an agenda of Islamic holy war."
Mr Malbrunot also issued a stern warning to fellow journalists about the dangers of working in Iraq.
comments powered by Disqus
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton