MALBRUNOT - KIDNAPPERS DRIVEN NOT BY IRAQ BUT BY ISLAMIC HOLY WAR
Hostage talks of Planet bin LadenFrom correspondents in Paris:
ONE of two French journalists freed after a four-month hostage ordeal in Iraq has described their captivity as being"immersed in Planet (Osama) bin Laden".
Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot had spent their first day back in France recounting details of their ordeal to the foreign intelligence agency, DGSE.
"One of the lessons we drew from our captivity was that we were immersed in Planet Bin Laden, especially when we were in a cell of the Islamic Army in the north" of Iraq, Mr Malbrunot told France 2 public television.
"We really understood that these kidnappers were driven not by an Iraqi agenda, but by an agenda of Islamic holy war."
Mr Malbrunot also issued a stern warning to fellow journalists about the dangers of working in Iraq.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"