THE DISHONEST REPORTING AWARDS 2004 - SERVING THE CULTURE OF FEAR
Must read: the Honest Reporting collection of the top dishonest reporting related to the Arab-Israeli conflict. My favorite is the one which reveals how the culture of fear constrains not only the people of the ME but also those reporting on it:
"Winner: David A. Schlesinger, Reuters. In a remarkable moment of candor, Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor, admitted that one reason his agency refuses to use the term 'terrorist' has nothing to do with editorial pursuit of objectivity, but is rather 'to protect our reporters.' Schlesinger described the 'serious consequences' if certain 'people in the Mideast' were to believe Reuters called those who detonate civilian buses and open fire on pregnant women 'terrorists.'"
Please remember this item when considering the poll findings in the region.
My own sources, even those living in the West, are afraid to write and those who do use only their first names for fear of retaliation against their families. Recently the father of an Iranian exile who worked as a technician on an anti-Iranian website was arrested in retaliation.
The dishonesty award should have been given to the Western media as a whole for failing to illuminate this basic reality to the world.
comments powered by Disqus
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors