MUBARAK USES EGYPTIAN PRESS TO BLACKMAIL US
To fully appreciate the quote from this week's Al Ahram's Press Review one must keep in mind that Mubarak appoints the editors of Egyptian newspapers and keeps a tight reign on them. - Egypt, Israel and the US signed an agreement which opens the American market for Egyptian goods provided they include some Israeli component. Egyptian intellectuals who could not care less for their poor brethren but could not do enough to demonsrate their hate for Israel were permitted, indeed, encouraged to vent their spleen. Why? Voila -
Actually, the fact that both Al-Ahram and Al- Akhbar, which share open close rapport with the government, chose to run direct and uncompromising criticism of Egypt's decision to go for the QIZs and other political and economic dealings, could simply be read as a clear indication that the government is well aware that it is going against the tide of public opinion and that it wants its"friends" in Washington to know that it is really doing this in order that they demonstrate sufficient appreciation.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history