The Lancet study explained
comments powered by Disqus
Charles Johnson - 11/2/2004
"In Right-wing political philosophies, political power rises from the bottom up. These would include true democracies and representative republics. In Left-wing political philosophies, political power originates at the top and moves downward."
This is not what the terms were made to signify, and it's not how they've historically been used. In Revolutionary France (where the terms were coined) the "Left" were those (among them many classical liberals and libertarians such as Frederic Bastiat) who argued for the sovereignty of ordinary people, claimed that government could have no rights except those that people chose to give it, and defended the right of those people to make fundamental changes to the structure of government. The Right were those who argued that the absolute authority of the King was sanctioned by Almighty God.
If you want to clarify how the terms are used, a decent respect for the opinions of mankind would recommend that the clarified terms have at least some connection with their historical use.
Stephen Wade - 1/5/2004
And I thought I was the only one who recognized Fascism for what it is: a totalitarian, left-wing political philosophy. I would like to redefine left-wing amd right-wing. In Right-wing political philosophies, political power rises from the bottom up. These would include true democracies and representative republics. In Left-wing political philosophies, political power originates at the top and moves downward. This includes all totalitarian philosophies such as communism, fascism, socialism, monarchies, dictatorships, etc.
Today's American liberalism is also left-wing by this definition.
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history