AL QAEDA IS LOSING - THE LEFT WOULD LIKE THEM TO BE LESS ISLAMISTS SO IT COULD HELP
Forget the doom-sayers. The French leftist are so sure that Al Qaeda is losing that they are suggesting that they change tactics and stop emphasizing Islam! That is the suggestion of Roy Oliver in his"pessimistic" article Al-Qaida Brand Name Ready for Franchise: The Business of Terror
It ends thus:"Al-Qaida undoubtedly stands a better chance of survival if it devotes less energy to defending Islam and concentrates on joining the vanguard of movements contesting established order and US domination." Roy would clearly be sad to see Al Qaeda fail.
His sentiments fit in very neatly with the analysis of his fellow countryman Gilles Kepel who argues that"Rather than waging a successful jihad against the West, the followers of Osama bin Laden have created chaos and destruction in the house of Islam. This internal crisis is known in Arabic as fitna:"It has an opposite and negative connotation from jihad," explains Kepel."It signifies sedition, war in the heart of Islam, a centrifugal force that threatens the faithful with community fragmentation, disintegration and ruin."
It also fits David Horowitz' argument abbot Leftists' Radical Islam Connection
Unfortunately, amongst the French, preference of Al Qaeda success is rather broad- how else can one explain this -"Add to this the recent bizarre phrase from French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin. The head of the Figaro press group went to see him about the kidnapping of two French journalists in Iraq; Raffarin assured him they would soon be freed, reportedly saying,"The Iraqi insurgents are our best allies." For the rest do read Amir Taheri's article.
comments powered by Disqus
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton