ASIAN ABILITY TO PRODUCE OUTSTRIPS WESTERN ABILITY TO CONSUME
The United States has not caused this global meltdown. China and other export oriented countries did. It is their refusal to develop a domestic market willing and able to digest a large portion of their own increased production that led them to flood the world with their excess (cheap) currency and created the American housing bubble. Creating a new global currency will not solve the problem though it would enable the US to weaken the dollar and ease its debt burden.
At the moment, the Obama administration is trying to keep the global economy afloat by spending the money that the world is pouring into what it considers the American safe haven as fast as it can on a long wish list. But this policy cannot be sustained and the Chinese government knows it.
So why badmouth the US which is sacrificing its economic well being on behalf of the rest of the world? I suspect that the Chinese autocrats are afraid that a truly prosperous Chinese nation will get rid of them and they are doing what tyrants always do. They seek to redirecting their citizen anger from their own incompetence towards that of the American"foreign devil." In other words, if China does not change course, we may be sooner of later find ourselves in another destructive war which may make W.W.II. look like a picnic.
comments powered by Disqus
- Pittsburgh native David McCullough's next book will focus on generations of Northwest pioneers
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton