LE MONDE - FRANCE ISOLATED ON IRAQ
As I have previously noted, US is winning ugly strategically - This item is from the BBC press review which labels it"France's dilemma:"
Under the headline"Splendid isolation", France's Le Monde says the Iraq issue is confronting President Jacques Chirac with"a highly difficult diplomatic equation".
The president, it says, has to work out a way of"maintaining his opposition to the war without appearing to be shamefully nostalgic for Saddam Hussein".
His dilemma is"how not to oppose the reconstruction of a 'sovereign' Iraq without reneging on his original position".
As a result, at the Nato summit in Istanbul"France found itself isolated in its refusal to accede to America's requests and in its blunt criticism of George W. Bush's public pronouncements."
comments powered by Disqus
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors
- Black Death maps reveal how the plague devastated medieval Britain
- Bernie Sanders picks Cornel West to help write Democratic platform
- Trump is empowering anti-Semites, Holocaust deniers, and White nationalists
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed