PA DENIES PALESTINIAN REFUGEES THE VOTE
Palestinian Media Watch reports that PA seeks to deprive Palestinian refugees from voting in local elections. “The Supreme National Committee for the Protection of the Right of Return – announced yesterday that it opposes the participation of the refugee camps in the local elections that are expected to take place in the Palestinian Territories. The committee justified its objection as protecting the unique status of the refugee camps in Gaza and the West Bank, considering them testimony to the crime that the occupation state made against our nation for 56 years. The committee warned of the dangers of integrating the refugee camps into the urban housing units...” [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, June 29, 2004]
For decades any attempt by caring people or organizations to settle the Palestinian refugees has been met by a stiff Arab opposition. As John McCarthy, a U.S. Catholic conference's expert on the refugees told Joan Peters in a February 19, 1978 interview:
"I've worked in the Palestinian structure, trying to say,"let's resettle these people." The governments of Egypt and so on, they all said:"Wait a while," or,"No, we won't do it. The only place they're going to resettle is back in Israel, right or wrong.' ' You must remember - well - these people are simply pawns . . ."
Typical has been a 1976 Libyan ad to recruit workers offered citizenship and other incentives to Arab workers except Palestinians.
Have they no shame?! You may wish to write your representatives on the subject.
comments powered by Disqus
- As Albania Reckons With Its Communist Past, Critics Say It’s Too Late
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport