Ronald Reagan, Protectionist
A longer paper on the subject, published by Cato, is here.
While I'm at it, here’s my Cato paper analyzing Reagan's intervention in the Iran-Iraq War. This is when the U.S. alliance with Saddam Hussein really picked up steam.
Much is made by some libertarians and better conservatives over the claim that Reagan adored Bastiat, Cobden, Bright, and Mises. He may have, at some level. But then shouldn't free trade have been his strong point?
Thanks again, Jeff.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita