Solzhenitsyn and the "absurd project to impose democracy all over the world."
In 2005, for example, he declared that:
It [democracy] must not be forced [upon people] like a cap. Democracy can only grow upwards, like a plant. Democracy must begin at the local level, within the local self-government. Only then can it develop further."
.....Solzhenitsyn slammed the US policy, saying that over ten years ago, the US"launched an absurd project to impose democracy all over the world.""The US has a strange idea of democracy - they first interfered with the Bosnian situation, bombed Yugoslavia, then Afghanistan, and then Iraq.""Who is next, perhaps, Iran?" the writer wonders."The US must understand that democracy cannot be introduced by force, by the army," he said.
comments powered by Disqus
Chris Matthew Sciabarra - 8/9/2008
David, good points all.
I put up a brief post on Solzhenitsyn on my blog late last night; just a remembrance of the impact that his book, The Gulag Archipelago, made on my young mind back in 1973. Check it out here.
Keith Halderman - 8/4/2008
Lately I have been reading a book on colonial history and when he says "democracy must begin at the local level, within the local self-government. Only then can it develop further" it made me think about how evidence there is in A New World by Arthur Quinn to support that statement.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity