ISRAEL AT 60 - PEACE TO YOU, LOVELY COUNTRY
I fervently believe that there is time to reflect and time to just celebrate. This is a time to celebrate, thank G-d and hope. They needed to be there.
I was in Paris and also in Rome,
I saw the seven wonders of the world,
At the North Pole and also at the South,
But there's no place like the Land of Israel.
And like postcards of beautiful scenery
Pictures fly through my memory
As if through the lens of a camera.
In my backpack I carry them,
everywhere, on every journey
Pieces of a mosaic within the whole picture.
Peace to you, lovely country
Your poor servant carries a song of praise to you.
Though sometimes I wander on the road -
How good it is to wander, but even better to return.
The turrets of the towers in Jerusalem,
And alleyways of the colorful street market;
The tile roofs of Givatayim, which are
seen through my window.
Springtime in Tel Aviv,
My grandmother and my grandfather,
The challah and the Shabbat candles.
The Dead Sea opposite the hills of Edom
And Lot's wife looking towards Sodom
And the summertime, as you approach Eilat.
Peace to you, lovely country...
The blue waters of Kineret
And the matching sky above.
And the familiar feeling of home
Flows like electricity within my veins.
The mountains of the Galil, and Shomron
The orchards in the Sharon,
And children in the garden of a moshava;
The Carmel and the sea,
Each one separately, and all of them,
Always wink to me, saying"Welcome!"
Peace to you, lovely country... (after the City of New Orleans)
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize