THE JAPANESE, UNLIKE THE SPANISH, SHOW SPINE
The Japanese, unlike the Spanish, blamed the terrorists and not their government for the kidnappings. Bravo! "TOKYO: Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi marked his third anniversary in office boosted by a clean sweep for his ruling party in weekend by-elections in the run-up to national polls in July.
Although two of the contests had been expected to be close, Koizumi's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) was spared a voter backlash Monday either for sending troops to Iraq or for an ongoing battle over pension reform.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 5/3/2004
They mostly blamed the kidnapped Japanese. See my post: http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/4938.html
Koizumi played along, too, billing the victims about $6000 apiece for plane fare..... Everyone loved it. But if actual soldiers get hurt it will be a different story, because it'll be harder to shift the blame around.
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea