THE JAPANESE, UNLIKE THE SPANISH, SHOW SPINE
The Japanese, unlike the Spanish, blamed the terrorists and not their government for the kidnappings. Bravo! "TOKYO: Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi marked his third anniversary in office boosted by a clean sweep for his ruling party in weekend by-elections in the run-up to national polls in July.
Although two of the contests had been expected to be close, Koizumi's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) was spared a voter backlash Monday either for sending troops to Iraq or for an ongoing battle over pension reform.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 5/3/2004
They mostly blamed the kidnapped Japanese. See my post: http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/4938.html
Koizumi played along, too, billing the victims about $6000 apiece for plane fare..... Everyone loved it. But if actual soldiers get hurt it will be a different story, because it'll be harder to shift the blame around.
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton