WHY DOES CHINA PROMISE TRANSPARENT SWF?/update
Not that Lesley Stahl acknowledges the basic fact that the Chinese fund is far from the only worrying SWF or the threat such funds pose to the Capitalist system as a whole. On the contrary, she only mentions two other such funds, those of Abu Dhabi and Kuwait and describes them as if they were knights in shining armor rescuers of the American financial system. This ignores a completely different reality reported by Market Watch thus:
Concern in the U.S. regarding the conduct of SWFs has grown since Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, or ADIA, bought in November a $7.5 billion stake in troubled U.S. banking giant Citi.
ADIA, the secretive investment giant controlled by Abu Dhabi's powerful ruling Al Nahyan family, is thought to be the Persian Gulf's largest SWF, with an estimated $900 billion worth of assets.
Why is China being so amicable suddenly? It Knows IMF and EU regulations are in the works. It has already expressed its wish to participate in their drafting. China also sees the timing as most advantageous. The soft global economy has increased SWF leverage. No one wishes to rock the financial boat further at the moment and Tibetan protests are undermining China's reputation. Under such conditions a good will gesture seems like a no lose proposition.
These are some of the reasons, a skeptical Larry Summers sensibly urges following the Reagan motto:"Trust but Verify:"
Former treasury secretary Lawrence Summers has been raising concerns about sovereign-wealth funds, so we asked him about Gao’s surprise pledge.
"I think there’s a question as a degree of specificity," Summers said."But in a way, their willingness to be interviewed and go on your show is probably not something they would do if they thought of themselves as having some nefarious purpose.
"Well, they certainly want to be reassuring," Stahl said.
"I think that is something we should encourage," Summers said."But, as Ronald Reagan said, 'Trust and verify.' I think this is an issue our government does need to pay close attention to."
Amen! Still, the value of China's willingness to cooperate cannot be discarded especially when contrasted with the behavior of our Middle Eastern"allies."
UPDATE: New American regulations will begin to scrutanize SWF stakes under 10%. Let's hope so.
comments powered by Disqus
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- Buried at an Asylum, the ‘Unspoken, Untold History’ of the South
- New Orleans removes monument to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?
- H.R. McMaster criticized – and not for his defense of Trump
- Yale’s David Blight is asked if New Orleans rewrite its Civil War legacy