NATO: YES TO MISSILE SHIELD, NOT YET TO UKRAINE AND GEORGIA
Oh, yes, France promised to send more troops to Afghanistan while the Germans continue to insist that their time as free riders in not yet over.
The"not yet" and missile shield make Russians unhappy.
So does the NATO summit mean we are headed towards a new Cold War?
Yes, if Russia reverts to autocracy. No, if it chooses democracy. Sorry realists but that is reality.
Ultimately, NATO democracies are doing what democracies have always done. They are trying to buy time while doing the minimum to get ready for the worst in the hope that it is on their side. Last time it was. Let's hope it will be again.
That minimum includes the missile shield. Given current developments in missile technology, nothing trumps it in importance. Developments in Military technology always fluctuate between offensive and defensive developments. At the moment offensive weapons such as rockets and missiles of all sizes and ranges have the advantage. This was brought home as never before during the Lebanon War. That is the reason that European Nato members try to appease Russia by delaying the decision on Ukrain and Georgia but refuse to put the development of the missile shield on ice.
All in all, well done.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"