IRAN: ELECTION OR SELECTION?
In an article published in the March issue of Le Monde Diplomatique (but strangely kept off the website), Iranian writer, Sururi Canadai argues that"Parliament is chosen before a single vote is cast" and asks whether the elections are really elections"if all the candidates have been pre-selected."
The results are in and you can find media attempts to put the best face on this pertinent question here. I find the following post from YUAN DING ON GUOJI ZAI XIAN WEBSITE, China particularly poignant:
The campaign has so far failed to make people feel the excitement of previous elections. Although they did not openly protest, the people's rare silence and passive response showed their dissatisfaction and frustration.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history