Thankfully it Wasn't a "Gun-Free" Zone
Libertarians and other advocates of the right to bear arms have long argued that the presence of law-abiding but gun-toting citizens might well reduce the number of large-scale shooting incidents, both by discouraging them in the first place and stopping them before they get out of control.The second of the church shootings yesterday provides another example to bolster this point:
A New Life parishioner acting as a security guard shot and killed the gunman who entered the church Sunday afternoon after he had gotten no more than 50 feet inside the building, Boyd said.
Boyd said the female security guard was a hero in preventing further bloodshed, rushing to confront the gunman just inside the church.
"She probably saved over a hundred lives," Boyd said of the guard, whom he said is not a law enforcement officer and used her personal weapon.
I hope there's nine Supreme Court Justices about to hear a case on the DC gun ban who read the paper carefully. Respecting the right to bear arms is more often than not a way to reduce violence.
UPDATE: she was a former Minneapolis police officer, but was in attendance as a private citizen on Sunday.
LATER UPDATE: the shot that killed the gunman was self-inflicted, but only after multiple shots from the woman had put him down.
comments powered by Disqus
Anthony Gregory - 12/10/2007
According to this, the hero was just an armed citizen.
The MSM spins it, of course.
Jeff Riggenbach - 12/10/2007
"I hope there's nine Supreme Court Justices about to hear a case on the DC gun ban who read the paper carefully."
Supreme Court Justices can read?
- WWII Pilot Found Buried in Italian Corn Field
- Melting Cave Ice Is Taking Ancient Climate Data with It
- King Tutankhamun did not die in chariot crash, virtual autopsy reveals
- Easter Island’s ancient inhabitants weren’t so isolated after all
- Turin shroud was made for medieval Easter ritual, historian says
- Despite new hires, Yale history department retains vacancies
- African-American Professor: Reagan Did More To Help Black Education Than Obama
- Turning West, Historians Take a Wider View of Early America
- History to Launch Online Course for College Credit
- 33.3 million viewers tuned in for 'The Roosevelts' documentary series