The Only Directly Elected Leader in the Middle East?
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 3/31/2004
1. Hitler was initially elected too (though, yes, he was later appointed via a series of backroom deals, intrigues, and betrayals).
2. The last time the Palestinians held a free election was I think in 1995.
3. Like other Arab leaders, Arafat is still a dictator.
- Climate of Change: The Catholic Church's Dance With Science
- Sacrificed Humans Discovered Among Prehistoric Tombs
- Nazis Triumph Over Communists in Ukraine
- Obits for Happy Rockefeller blamed her for his political decline. Don’t believe it.
- Historian investigates claim that Bugsy Siegel wanted to kill Goring
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize