The Only Directly Elected Leader in the Middle East?
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 3/31/2004
1. Hitler was initially elected too (though, yes, he was later appointed via a series of backroom deals, intrigues, and betrayals).
2. The last time the Palestinians held a free election was I think in 1995.
3. Like other Arab leaders, Arafat is still a dictator.
- New Churchill Museum director shares vision
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome