The Bush Wurlitzer
The manhunt comes on the heels of another interesting shift: the Bush administration is beginning to downplay the importance of capturing Osama or other high-level al-Qaida. (Remember when that was the goal? Remember Tora Bora?) The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz as stating,"They [terrorist groups] are very decentralized operations ... so you've got to go after them one by one. U.S. national security adviser Condoleezza Rice also stressed that even if al-Zawahiri were captured, it wouldn't end the terror." A recent headline in the Richmond Times-Dispatch read,"Rumsfeld: Bin Laden Irrelevant". The story:"Capturing or killing al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden would not 'change the problem' of international terrorism, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said yesterday?in an interview at the Pentagon with WTN radio in Nashville." Given its embarrassing failure at the endeavor, it is undoubtedly prudent for the Bush spokespeople to make like a Wurlitzer and change their tune. If al-Zawahiri is actually captured, expect another dime to drop into the music machine.
For more commentary, please visit McBlog
comments powered by Disqus
Robert L. Campbell - 3/19/2004
The breathless announcement about al-Zawahiri being surrounded had me scratching my head. Isn't it just plain dopey to claim that your forces have someone, when he's not in custody yet?
William Marina - 3/19/2004
Thanks for the excellent survey of news stories about the Bushies.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity