THE MUSLIM WORLD IS WATCHING LIBYA AND TURKEY
While the Americans are busy selecting a serious Democratic presidential candidate and the European"big three" are trying to hold on to their traditional superiority within the EU, the Muslim world is watching to see if this time, the West really means it when it says that the time has come to integrate the M.E. into the global system. In other words, that the American and Europeans each in their own way have seriously decided to democratize and modernize the Arab world.
The American seriousness will be determined by its insistence that Libya undertake democratic reforms. Yes, I know Khaddafi provided us with a treasure trove. But failure to ask for internal reform would merely tell Muslims that the US does not care about them and it would tell their autocrats that they can pay off Washington with intelligence instead of oil.
European seriousness will depend on giving Turkey a date for beginning the negotiations for joining the EU. Muslims will believe that Europeans are willing to treat them as equals only if they permit the no longer"sick man of Europe" to join the club every East European country was permitted to join. Just ask Erdogan what is the first question his fellow Middle Easterners ask him.
Those who still believe that Arabs are not ready for democracy should read the Sunday NYT article about the local elections in Faluja and watch the impressive manner in which the Iraqi leadership is outsmarting Bremer and his"election experts." I think the idea of holding elections in the peaceful Shia and Kurdish areas is brilliant. It is time to stop rewarding violence by holding the rest of Iraq hostage to the mass killers in the Sunni triangle.
comments powered by Disqus
- The six-day war: why Israel is still divided over its legacy 50 years on
- "Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?