"Democracy" in Iraq
What exactly does democracy mean in a country as badly divided and fractured as Iraq? I fear it means an unpopular U.S. backed regime without any real support except from U.S. troops. How long before we impose some formerly exiled croonie of the Bush White House as president in a caucus process that Shittes won't like and Sunni's will probably boycott? Unlike Iraq's last president not elected by the people and supported by the military I suspect that the the new one will probably not wear a beret.
comments powered by Disqus
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean