"Democracy" in Iraq
What exactly does democracy mean in a country as badly divided and fractured as Iraq? I fear it means an unpopular U.S. backed regime without any real support except from U.S. troops. How long before we impose some formerly exiled croonie of the Bush White House as president in a caucus process that Shittes won't like and Sunni's will probably boycott? Unlike Iraq's last president not elected by the people and supported by the military I suspect that the the new one will probably not wear a beret.
comments powered by Disqus
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965
- Historians named to the 2015 class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences