RESTORING THE SECOND AND FIFTEENTH AMENDMENT RIGHTS OF EX-FELONS
According to Drum, depriving ex-felons of the franchise is also “intentionally or not...seriously racist. Because of the disparity in sentencing for crack vs. powder cocaine, a much larger percentage of blacks get convicted on drug charges [and thus lose the franchise] than whites.” Again, I agree.
This raises a question, however. Why limit the restoration of ex-felon rights to the fifteenth amendment? Why not restore their second amendment rights as well? Unfortunately, many states routinely prohibit ex-felons from owning guns. If Drum is right about the racist implications of laws denying ex-felons the vote (and I think he is), the logic of his argument also applies to laws prohibiting them the right to own guns. Because blacks are more likely to live in high-crime areas, these laws disproportionately deprives them of a means of self-defense.
comments powered by Disqus
laron t williams - 8/27/2006
I agree with everything they say in this article, because I'm a black ex felon and I even tried to expunge my record, but since i had a misdermeanor, the judge objected to the expungement! My felony is'nt a violent felony but i still cannot own a firearm to protect my home or family. They would'nt take a ex felon's drivers license away, "ANYONE CAN USE A CAR AS A WEAPON AS WELL". Taking a persons right to bear arms is ridiculous!!!
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Colorado school board, worried about the new AP framework, wants to make sure high school kids are taught patriotic history
- Professor premieres animated short on Pueblo revolt on PBS