Can the Bush supporters spell “chutzpah”? On TV they are falling all over themselves to praise Bush for his political courage in scrapping the steel tariffs. Excuse me—but who put the tariffs on in the first place? His courage supposedly lies in his willingness to risk losing the swing steel states for the sake of free-trade principle. But the supporters neglect to point out that Bush was getting pressure from a swing steel-using state (namely, Michigan), as well as states such as Florida that would have suffered from European retaliation sanctioned by the World Trade Organization. His stated reason for ending the tariffs? They worked! By the way, he promised to protect the steel industry from"dumping." Some man of principle. Humbug!
comments powered by Disqus
- Bad history is behind our fervent belief in the purity of amateur athletics
- The Fascinating 100-Year Journey of Black Cinema Through Its Film Posters
- Historians Rip O'Reilly's New Patton Book
- Japan remembers tragic sinking of Ottoman ship
- Confirmation: Canada identifies ship from British Arctic expedition
- British Empire in India: Historians and journalists debate
- Ken Burns's surprising discovery about his Revolutionary War ancestor
- When does history end?
- Colorado Students Strip Naked in Protest of ‘Censorship’ of AP History Classes
- They should give this definition of History to all first year undergrads on their first day