Some More Noted Things
The fairly pointed criticism of Niall Ferguson by"The History Boys" author, Alan Bennett, appears both in his introduction to the play and in a new collection of essays, Untold Stories. Thanks to Alan Allport and Eric Alterman.
Jennie Weber at American Presidents Blog will host the 33rd History Carnival on 15 June. Send your nominations of exemplary history posts since 1 June to her at coppertop67*at*hotmail*dot*com or use the form.
Our former colleague, Jonathan Dresner, helps to administer the Carnival of Bad History. It's now seeking to recruit hosts. You can volunteer by writing to: badhistory*at*aol*dot*com.
Thanks to Manan Ahmed, Cliopatria's History Blogroll is updated with about thirty new additions. The list now includes 35 military history blogs, 22 primarily non-English language blogs, 17 history of science and technology blogs, 16 primary source blogs, 12 K-12 blogs, and many more. Have a look.
Finally, it seems near obligatory these days for bloggers to take a position on Ann Coulter, though I don't recommend that you linger on that thought. Observations seem to range between Andrew Sullivan's claim that she's"a drag queen impersonating a fascist" and David Carr's"the fact that she is one of the leading political writers of our age says something about the rest of us." I take Carr's"leading" as a concession that her Godless will appear on best-seller lists. Sidney Blumenthal pointed out three years ago (scroll down to 08-08-03) that, if she makes it to the New York Times best seller list, a little dagger or asterisk will likely indicate that advance bulk orders by right-wing angels put it there. And, as Sullivan, Carr, Michael Crowley, Jason Zingerli and Rude Pundit point out, she's"a plagiarizing""drag queen impersonating" a"leading""fascist""political writer".
comments powered by Disqus
- In America, there was a time when even 'Thanksgiving' was a fightin' word
- Was Walt Whitman 'gay'?
- Victims of Canada’s ‘Gay Purge’ to Get Apology from Trudeau
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race