MARY BETH NORTON ON RUMSFELD'S "FRACTURED FAIRY TALES" HISTORY OF THE 1780S
Mary Beth Norton had an excellent op-ed in Saturday's NYT about Rumsfeld's ridiculous assertion that the violence in Iraq is like the U.S. in the 1780s.
If you recall, I posted on it the day after Rumsfeld made the remarks. I'm glad to see confirmation that I was right about it. As I said at the time, it's not my area of expertise after all.
I like the way she closes the piece:
As part of his education package, President Bush has proposed an initiative to improve the teaching of American history in the public schools. I wonder if his secretary of defense might benefit from a refresher on the revolutionary era.Nice shot, eh?
Wish to comment on this post? Click here
comments powered by Disqus
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- A ‘Quest for Justice’ for Murdered Civil Rights Pioneer, 52 Years Later
- Under Trump, Most Americans Lack Basic Knowledge to Understand Current Events, Study Finds
- Trump wants a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4th
- What Happens When an Entire Campus Is Rooted in the Confederacy?
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar
- Peter Dreier calls on Americans to build monuments to liberal heroes