MARY BETH NORTON ON RUMSFELD'S "FRACTURED FAIRY TALES" HISTORY OF THE 1780S
Mary Beth Norton had an excellent op-ed in Saturday's NYT about Rumsfeld's ridiculous assertion that the violence in Iraq is like the U.S. in the 1780s.
If you recall, I posted on it the day after Rumsfeld made the remarks. I'm glad to see confirmation that I was right about it. As I said at the time, it's not my area of expertise after all.
I like the way she closes the piece:
As part of his education package, President Bush has proposed an initiative to improve the teaching of American history in the public schools. I wonder if his secretary of defense might benefit from a refresher on the revolutionary era.Nice shot, eh?
Wish to comment on this post? Click here
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton