MARY BETH NORTON ON RUMSFELD'S "FRACTURED FAIRY TALES" HISTORY OF THE 1780S
Mary Beth Norton had an excellent op-ed in Saturday's NYT about Rumsfeld's ridiculous assertion that the violence in Iraq is like the U.S. in the 1780s.
If you recall, I posted on it the day after Rumsfeld made the remarks. I'm glad to see confirmation that I was right about it. As I said at the time, it's not my area of expertise after all.
I like the way she closes the piece:
As part of his education package, President Bush has proposed an initiative to improve the teaching of American history in the public schools. I wonder if his secretary of defense might benefit from a refresher on the revolutionary era.Nice shot, eh?
Wish to comment on this post? Click here
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook