MARY BETH NORTON ON RUMSFELD'S "FRACTURED FAIRY TALES" HISTORY OF THE 1780S
Mary Beth Norton had an excellent op-ed in Saturday's NYT about Rumsfeld's ridiculous assertion that the violence in Iraq is like the U.S. in the 1780s.
If you recall, I posted on it the day after Rumsfeld made the remarks. I'm glad to see confirmation that I was right about it. As I said at the time, it's not my area of expertise after all.
I like the way she closes the piece:
As part of his education package, President Bush has proposed an initiative to improve the teaching of American history in the public schools. I wonder if his secretary of defense might benefit from a refresher on the revolutionary era.Nice shot, eh?
Wish to comment on this post? Click here
comments powered by Disqus
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- SUNY professor says Trump win at least 87 percent certain; other polls 'bunk'
- Petition Started to Include Clarence Thomas in National African American Museum
- The Racial Politics of Nat Turner Tours
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller