Saddam's Delusions--and the Delusions of "Realism"
This essay, "Saddam's Delusions," in the most recent issue of Foreign Affairs is a concise demolition of that view, based on the 230-page report of the Pentagon's US Joint Forces Command's (USJFC) Iraq Perspectives Project. In conjunction with the final report of the CIA's Iraq Survey Group (ISG)--and standard histories such as Kenneth Pollack's The Threatening Storm--we now have in hand a full rebuttal to the"Saddam as rational actor" thesis. There was, frankly, enough evidence to rebut it before the ISG or JSJFC set foot in Iraq, but never mind.
Incidentally, I recently blogged about an important article on Iraqi WMD by James Lacey, the USJFC-IPP report's second author.
comments powered by Disqus
long yan zuo - 10/29/2009
If a woman will begin with ugg bailey button certainties, he shall end in ugg classic cardy doubts,but if he will be content to begin with ugg lo pro button doubts, he shall end in ugg boots certainties. Determined to act ugg knightsbridge Decisivly and to bear the consequences.In this ugg women suede shoes world, hesitation can not access to success. Laziness as a lock,which bolts you out of the storehouse of information and makes you an intellectual starveling. http://www.tangsale.com/
Nick Cullather - 6/13/2006
The Foreign Affairs essay shows that Saddam was
1) overoptimistic about his military's capabilities and the weakenesses of the enemy,
2) deluded about the situation on the ground, especially the existence of WMD in Iraq, and
3) unwilling to listen to dissenting views, even from cabinet ministers
These delusions, according to the Wall Street Journal, gave Saddam's bunker an "Alice in Wonderland" quality. U.S. News says the report reveals how "dysfunctional and twisted the regime's internal working had become."
Is it possible that Saddam was being advised by Karl Rove?
- In Trump’s America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- The Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare for Everybody But Alaska Might Be Unconstitutional
- Parliament Square in London Is Closer to Having First Female Statue
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond