"NEVER SAY" - HOLOCAUST AND HEROISM DAY
On Yom Hashoa when I light the memorial candle for my dead family members, I think of them and hope that I inherited some of their courage as well as that of my partisan uncle Mordechai."Never Say" by Hirsh Glick was his song and it is still mine:
Never say there is only death for you. Leaden skies may be concealing days of blue - Because the hour we have hungered for is near; Beneath our tread the earth shall tremble: We are here!
From land of palm-tree to the far-off land of snow, We shall be coming with our torment and our woe. And everywhere our blood has sunk into the earth, Shall our bravery, our vigor blossom forth!
We’ll have the morning sun to set our day aglow, And all our yesterdays shall vanish with the foe, And if the time is long before the sun appears, Then let this song go like a signal through the years.
This song was written with our blood and not with lead; It’s not a song that birds sing overhead, It was a people, among toppling barricades, That sang this song of ours with pistols and grenades.
So never say that there is only death for you. Leaden skies may be concealing days of blue - Because the hour we have hungered for is near; Beneath our tread the earth shall tremble: We are here!
comments powered by Disqus
- Steve Bannon Vows ‘War’ on His Own Party. It Didn’t Work So Well for F.D.R.
- Tom Hanks: 'If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history'
- 9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history
- Charleston's International African American Museum's big plans
- What’s inside the secret JFK assassination files?
- Presidential historian Michael Beschloss explains the significance of yesterday’s Bush-Obama attack on Trump
- Russian minister keeps doctorate despite plagiarism claims
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian