"NEVER SAY" - HOLOCAUST AND HEROISM DAY
On Yom Hashoa when I light the memorial candle for my dead family members, I think of them and hope that I inherited some of their courage as well as that of my partisan uncle Mordechai."Never Say" by Hirsh Glick was his song and it is still mine:
Never say there is only death for you. Leaden skies may be concealing days of blue - Because the hour we have hungered for is near; Beneath our tread the earth shall tremble: We are here!
From land of palm-tree to the far-off land of snow, We shall be coming with our torment and our woe. And everywhere our blood has sunk into the earth, Shall our bravery, our vigor blossom forth!
We’ll have the morning sun to set our day aglow, And all our yesterdays shall vanish with the foe, And if the time is long before the sun appears, Then let this song go like a signal through the years.
This song was written with our blood and not with lead; It’s not a song that birds sing overhead, It was a people, among toppling barricades, That sang this song of ours with pistols and grenades.
So never say that there is only death for you. Leaden skies may be concealing days of blue - Because the hour we have hungered for is near; Beneath our tread the earth shall tremble: We are here!
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Angled for Soviet Posting In the 1980s
- Places That Are Actually Worth Visiting
- JFK’s last birthday: Gifts, champagne and wandering hands on the presidential yacht
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools