"NEVER SAY" - HOLOCAUST AND HEROISM DAY
On Yom Hashoa when I light the memorial candle for my dead family members, I think of them and hope that I inherited some of their courage as well as that of my partisan uncle Mordechai."Never Say" by Hirsh Glick was his song and it is still mine:
Never say there is only death for you. Leaden skies may be concealing days of blue - Because the hour we have hungered for is near; Beneath our tread the earth shall tremble: We are here!
From land of palm-tree to the far-off land of snow, We shall be coming with our torment and our woe. And everywhere our blood has sunk into the earth, Shall our bravery, our vigor blossom forth!
We’ll have the morning sun to set our day aglow, And all our yesterdays shall vanish with the foe, And if the time is long before the sun appears, Then let this song go like a signal through the years.
This song was written with our blood and not with lead; It’s not a song that birds sing overhead, It was a people, among toppling barricades, That sang this song of ours with pistols and grenades.
So never say that there is only death for you. Leaden skies may be concealing days of blue - Because the hour we have hungered for is near; Beneath our tread the earth shall tremble: We are here!
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)