David Montgomery: Defending Historians' Academic Freedom in Our Own Times
comments powered by Disqus
julia T erdman - 4/24/2006
This an extremely important issue. I have been following the so called Armenian Genocide debates and was appalled to find out the historians who do not support the genocide claim are under exterem pressure to the point that one was forced to leave UCLA under pressure and threats from a Mr Hovannasian who himself claims to be a historian at UCLA! Mr Shaw's house was burned and his children were threatened beacuse he was onf the opinion that there was no eveidence supporting the claim of genocide, but ethnic strife in the middle of WW I, where many more nn-Armenians died at the same time in the same region!
When we teach our children to hate, we basically kill their future!
History should not be re-written under political and physical threats! That is a very dangerous thing. We should strive to give our children accurate picture of the social, political and economic picture of the situation, not just one sided stories.
- In Trump’s America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- The Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare for Everybody But Alaska Might Be Unconstitutional
- Parliament Square in London Is Closer to Having First Female Statue
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond