David Montgomery: Defending Historians' Academic Freedom in Our Own Times
comments powered by Disqus
julia T erdman - 4/24/2006
This an extremely important issue. I have been following the so called Armenian Genocide debates and was appalled to find out the historians who do not support the genocide claim are under exterem pressure to the point that one was forced to leave UCLA under pressure and threats from a Mr Hovannasian who himself claims to be a historian at UCLA! Mr Shaw's house was burned and his children were threatened beacuse he was onf the opinion that there was no eveidence supporting the claim of genocide, but ethnic strife in the middle of WW I, where many more nn-Armenians died at the same time in the same region!
When we teach our children to hate, we basically kill their future!
History should not be re-written under political and physical threats! That is a very dangerous thing. We should strive to give our children accurate picture of the social, political and economic picture of the situation, not just one sided stories.
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns is in a race to slow us down
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Colorado school board, worried about the new AP framework, wants to make sure high school kids are taught patriotic history