David Montgomery: Defending Historians' Academic Freedom in Our Own Times
comments powered by Disqus
julia T erdman - 4/24/2006
This an extremely important issue. I have been following the so called Armenian Genocide debates and was appalled to find out the historians who do not support the genocide claim are under exterem pressure to the point that one was forced to leave UCLA under pressure and threats from a Mr Hovannasian who himself claims to be a historian at UCLA! Mr Shaw's house was burned and his children were threatened beacuse he was onf the opinion that there was no eveidence supporting the claim of genocide, but ethnic strife in the middle of WW I, where many more nn-Armenians died at the same time in the same region!
When we teach our children to hate, we basically kill their future!
History should not be re-written under political and physical threats! That is a very dangerous thing. We should strive to give our children accurate picture of the social, political and economic picture of the situation, not just one sided stories.
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich