SOLOMON ISLANDS ON FIRE
Most shops in Chinatown were looted and burned as men armed with knives and axes took to the streets, and at least 25 Australian police and three New Zealanders were injured as they tried to quell the rioting.
"They've totally burned down Chinatown. There's nothing left," said New Zealand businessman Ray Vuksich, who was staying in the Chinese-owned Pacific-Casino Hotel when it came under attack.
"It was unbelievable. They were trying to get up the stairs with machetes and batons," he said.
The Chinese are often called the Jews of Asia. Why? because their fellow citizens fear their success and every so often embark on pogroms. In this case, a rumor that they"bought" the elections unleashed the violence. Australians are sending forces to restore peace. Fear of such violence led Amy Chua to write World on Fire : How Exporting Free Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability. I do not agree with her anti-democratic conclusions but the problem she highlights cannot be ignored.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"