SOLOMON ISLANDS ON FIRE
Most shops in Chinatown were looted and burned as men armed with knives and axes took to the streets, and at least 25 Australian police and three New Zealanders were injured as they tried to quell the rioting.
"They've totally burned down Chinatown. There's nothing left," said New Zealand businessman Ray Vuksich, who was staying in the Chinese-owned Pacific-Casino Hotel when it came under attack.
"It was unbelievable. They were trying to get up the stairs with machetes and batons," he said.
The Chinese are often called the Jews of Asia. Why? because their fellow citizens fear their success and every so often embark on pogroms. In this case, a rumor that they"bought" the elections unleashed the violence. Australians are sending forces to restore peace. Fear of such violence led Amy Chua to write World on Fire : How Exporting Free Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability. I do not agree with her anti-democratic conclusions but the problem she highlights cannot be ignored.
comments powered by Disqus
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Baton Rouge area Catholic school responds to student's racist essay about Black History Month
- How the ‘guerrilla archivists’ saved history – and are doing it again under Trump
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- New Book Says Bob Woodward Burned Hillary Clinton’s Ghostwriter
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit