SOLOMON ISLANDS ON FIRE
Most shops in Chinatown were looted and burned as men armed with knives and axes took to the streets, and at least 25 Australian police and three New Zealanders were injured as they tried to quell the rioting.
"They've totally burned down Chinatown. There's nothing left," said New Zealand businessman Ray Vuksich, who was staying in the Chinese-owned Pacific-Casino Hotel when it came under attack.
"It was unbelievable. They were trying to get up the stairs with machetes and batons," he said.
The Chinese are often called the Jews of Asia. Why? because their fellow citizens fear their success and every so often embark on pogroms. In this case, a rumor that they"bought" the elections unleashed the violence. Australians are sending forces to restore peace. Fear of such violence led Amy Chua to write World on Fire : How Exporting Free Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability. I do not agree with her anti-democratic conclusions but the problem she highlights cannot be ignored.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)