SOLANA: EU SHOULD BEGIN TO THINK OF SANCTIONS AGAINST IRAN"
The European Union could consider slapping sanctions on Iran, including a visa ban, if current UN-centred diplomatic efforts fail, EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said on Monday.
Speaking at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Luxembourg, he meanwhile dismissed a report that the United States might take military action in the standoff with Teheran over its nuclear plans.
“We have to be prepared just in case they fail,” he said, referring to diplomatic efforts to persuade the Islamic republic to renounce sensitive atomic activities, currently centred on the UN Security Council.
“We have to begin thinking about that possibility,” he said, referring to the possibility of eventual sanctions. Asked specifically about a visa ban, he said that such a move “is a classical type of measure that is taken.”
Oh, be still my foolish heart.
comments powered by Disqus
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors