BUSH SEND A MESSAGE TO THE IRANIAN PEOPLE
First, let me start with Iran.
I am deeply concerned about Iran, as should a lot of people be concerned about Iran. I am concerned when the country of Iran's president announces his desire to see that Israel gets destroyed. Israel's our ally. We're committed to the safety of Israel, and it's a commitment we will keep.
Secondly, I'm concerned about a nontransparent society's desire to develop a nuclear weapon. The world cannot be put in a position where we can be blackmailed by a nuclear weapon.
I believe it is very important for the Iranian government to hear loud and clear from not only the United States, but also from other nations around the world.
I also want the Iranian people to hear loud and clear, and that is, we have no beef with you. We are worried about a government that is transparent whose aims and objectives are not peaceful, and, therefore, we don't think that you should have the capacity to make a nuclear weapon.
The diplomatic strategy is being led right now by what's called the E.U.-3 -- France, Germany and Great Britain -- and they're doing a good job of keeping together a common message to say to the Iranians that, We expect you to adhere to international norm.
The next logical step, if the Iranians continue not to adhere to international norm, or the demands of the free world, is to go to the United Nations Security Council.
At the same time, the development of Iraqi democracy is an important message to people inside of Iran.
I would interpret the speech as a call for a regime change in Iran. In fact, Bush seems to imply that he is not against an Iranian nuke per se. He is against this belligerent Iranian regime having a nuclear weapon.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history