GOOD NEWS - THE VOICE OF LIBERALISM IS HEARD IN EGYPT
I am not being treasonous to my Egyptian values," Adeeb said,"if I come out and advocate modernisation and enlightenment in order to help us get rid of our psychological complexes. We cannot stop thinking or coming up with real Egyptian initiatives for reform just because it coincides with what the West or what Americans or anybody else is saying."
Adeeb said the paper was"examining national causes, and serving the idea of reform. We believe in reform, we are calling for reform, and we find liberal ideas to be the right objective."
Does this include presenting pro-American and pro-Israeli ideas, especially regarding sensitive issues like the American occupation of Iraq and normalisation with Israel?"Everybody is welcome to offer his ideas," Adeeb said,"and we will talk to everyone and anyone. The issue is not who you are talking to, but what you are talking about, and how you are conducting your dialogue."
"Normalisation is not against any law. We have a peace treaty with Israel, and diplomatically, we have embassies. Common sense tells us that we have three possibilities: either they are our enemy; or we are neutral; or friends. In all three cases, you have to understand what they are doing. And understanding is not adopting views," said Adeeb.
memri.com has similar good news. We are making progress.
comments powered by Disqus
- Frontline does Trump & Clinton
- This New York Times ‘Hitler’ book review sure reads like a thinly veiled Trump comparison
- Chicago Tribune editorial: The government should release secret grand jury testimony about its 1942 scoop: "Jap Plan to Strike at Sea"
- US owes blacks reparations over slavery: UN experts
- Mali Islamist jailed for nine years for Timbuktu shrine attacks
- What Historians Are Saying About the First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Princeton professor documents the movement that ended single-sex education at elite schools
- Annette Gordon-Reed tells historians the controversy over Harvard law school's shield is different from the fight over the Confederate flag
- Historian EP Thompson denounced Communist party chiefs, files show
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017