GOOD NEWS - THE VOICE OF LIBERALISM IS HEARD IN EGYPT
I am not being treasonous to my Egyptian values," Adeeb said,"if I come out and advocate modernisation and enlightenment in order to help us get rid of our psychological complexes. We cannot stop thinking or coming up with real Egyptian initiatives for reform just because it coincides with what the West or what Americans or anybody else is saying."
Adeeb said the paper was"examining national causes, and serving the idea of reform. We believe in reform, we are calling for reform, and we find liberal ideas to be the right objective."
Does this include presenting pro-American and pro-Israeli ideas, especially regarding sensitive issues like the American occupation of Iraq and normalisation with Israel?"Everybody is welcome to offer his ideas," Adeeb said,"and we will talk to everyone and anyone. The issue is not who you are talking to, but what you are talking about, and how you are conducting your dialogue."
"Normalisation is not against any law. We have a peace treaty with Israel, and diplomatically, we have embassies. Common sense tells us that we have three possibilities: either they are our enemy; or we are neutral; or friends. In all three cases, you have to understand what they are doing. And understanding is not adopting views," said Adeeb.
memri.com has similar good news. We are making progress.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"