CHALABI REDUX - SANITY PLEASE?
The debate over Chalabi has divided the administration dramatically. Some people maintain that the solution for Iraq is"as simple as ABC -- Anyone But Chalabi."
"I have never seen such personalization of policy," says Richard Holbrooke, former U.N. ambassador and former assistant secretary of state."It has created the impression of a dysfunctional family," one senior administration official admitted.
And the politics become more Byzantine every day. So intense is the division that a very senior administration official suggested that some of his colleagues had allowed their feelings to hurt the war effort:"Some people seem to be more eager to block support for Chalabi than to mobilize every possible source of opposition to Saddam," he said."That is one of the reasons there were not more Iraqis mobilized in the free Iraqi forces when the war began."
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history