IRAQIS HOLD ELECTION LOTTERY
In a televised spectacle that had the air of a game show, officials allocated numbers to the 225 parties and coalitions that registered for the ballot, starting from 501 -- in order to avoid repeating numbers used at the last election that voters might already associate with parties.
With so many parties running, memorable numbers are highly prized so certain numbers like 600 and 700 were not used.
The ruling United Alliance, which won nearly half the votes at January elections, struck lucky with the number 555.
comments powered by Disqus
MarkD - 11/3/2005
What party got 666?
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed
- Female World War II Pilots Can Now Have Their Ashes at Arlington National Cemetery
- Obama Signs Bill Removing ‘Negro,’ ‘Oriental’ from Federal Laws
- ISIS Destroys Ancient Adad & Mashki Gates in Nineveh, Iraq
- Geographical names with “Jim Crow” are history in this state
- Timothy Garton Ash Puts Forth a Free-Speech Manifesto
- Iowa historian makes independent bid for US Senate
- British feminist historian declines prestigious Israeli award following BDS pressure
- Robert W. Gutman, Biographer of Wagner and Mozart, Dies at 90
- Greg O’Malley’s go-to slave trade database will soon show more than the path the ships took from Africa to the New World