EMAIL OF THE DAY: AHMADINEJAD MUST BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY
People often ask me, “What can we Jews believe after Auschwitz.” I have a simple answer: Believe those who promise to kill us. Although I don't have the book in front of me, there is a scene in Elie Wiesel's Night that depicts a crazed youth on the death march screaming"I believe in Hitler." When asked, how he can say something like that, he replies something to the effect that Hitler was the only one who kept his word to the Jews. He said he'd kill them and he did. After Auschwitz, whenever someone promises to kill the Jews or even hints at it indirectly, he must be believed. That is the real 614th commandment. This is not paranoia. It is learning from experience and self-protection.
Let's not deceive ourselves. Iran's president is being more honest than many so-called"moderate" Muslims. He has given the game away. They want their “final solution” so complete that no future Jewish community would ever survive to attempt to come back to Israel. Remember the Armenian genocide! They have far worse in store for us should we ever let our guard down. They will not be satisfied with a two-state solution. The reaction to impotence is often rage. In the Muslim religious imagination, the Jews were never supposed to defeat the Muslims in not one but three wars. The Muslims knew them as obsequious dhimmis, not as a people capable of defending themselves. Rage is at the root of contemporary Muslim anti-Semitism just as it was with German anti-Semitism after World War I. Contemporary Muslim anti-Semitism is a very different and more dangerous phenomenon than traditional Muslim hostility towards Jews, which had an element of the contempt of a militarily superior people toward those who ancestors they had defeated.
Richard L. Rubenstein (author of"After Auschwitz" and"The Cunning of History")
comments powered by Disqus
- Frontline does Trump & Clinton
- This New York Times ‘Hitler’ book review sure reads like a thinly veiled Trump comparison
- Chicago Tribune editorial: The government should release secret grand jury testimony about its 1942 scoop: "Jap Plan to Strike at Sea"
- US owes blacks reparations over slavery: UN experts
- Mali Islamist jailed for nine years for Timbuktu shrine attacks
- What Historians Are Saying About the First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Princeton professor documents the movement that ended single-sex education at elite schools
- Annette Gordon-Reed tells historians the controversy over Harvard law school's shield is different from the fight over the Confederate flag
- Historian EP Thompson denounced Communist party chiefs, files show
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017