CONGRATULATIONS IRAQ; CAN SUNNIS LEARN COALITION BUILDING?/UPDATE
The ball is now in the Sunni court. The question is how fast will the Sunnis come to term with the fact that they are a minority and recognize that minorities can thrive in a democracy by coalition building? The sooner they do, the easier it will be for them to reclaim a significant portion of their previous position.
Iraq can use their governing experience. When all said and done, ending the Sunni tantrum would benefit all.
The MSM may pay little attention but Austin Bay is right. The lessons of democracy are sinking in. Far from giving up on the political process, the Sunnis are forming alliances in preparation for the Paliamentary elections.
That is the strength of democracy. Your loss is never final. You always live to compete another day. Hence, you can never afford to dwell on the past. You must always prepare for the future. I cannot imagine a more valuable lesson for the Arab world whose intellectuals still bemoan the loss of Andalus.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)