CONGRATULATIONS IRAQ; CAN SUNNIS LEARN COALITION BUILDING?/UPDATE
The ball is now in the Sunni court. The question is how fast will the Sunnis come to term with the fact that they are a minority and recognize that minorities can thrive in a democracy by coalition building? The sooner they do, the easier it will be for them to reclaim a significant portion of their previous position.
Iraq can use their governing experience. When all said and done, ending the Sunni tantrum would benefit all.
The MSM may pay little attention but Austin Bay is right. The lessons of democracy are sinking in. Far from giving up on the political process, the Sunnis are forming alliances in preparation for the Paliamentary elections.
That is the strength of democracy. Your loss is never final. You always live to compete another day. Hence, you can never afford to dwell on the past. You must always prepare for the future. I cannot imagine a more valuable lesson for the Arab world whose intellectuals still bemoan the loss of Andalus.
comments powered by Disqus
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- CIA: “Pinochet personally ordered” Letelier bombing
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history