CONGRATULATIONS IRAQ; CAN SUNNIS LEARN COALITION BUILDING?/UPDATE
The ball is now in the Sunni court. The question is how fast will the Sunnis come to term with the fact that they are a minority and recognize that minorities can thrive in a democracy by coalition building? The sooner they do, the easier it will be for them to reclaim a significant portion of their previous position.
Iraq can use their governing experience. When all said and done, ending the Sunni tantrum would benefit all.
The MSM may pay little attention but Austin Bay is right. The lessons of democracy are sinking in. Far from giving up on the political process, the Sunnis are forming alliances in preparation for the Paliamentary elections.
That is the strength of democracy. Your loss is never final. You always live to compete another day. Hence, you can never afford to dwell on the past. You must always prepare for the future. I cannot imagine a more valuable lesson for the Arab world whose intellectuals still bemoan the loss of Andalus.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools