MEDIA SILENCE ABOUT "ALLIANCE OF CIVILIZATIONS"
Turkey's recent flirtation with anti-Semitic, anti-American books not withstanding, it earned the right to hold such conferences. Not only did the Ottoman Empire open its arms to Jews which Spain ethnically cleansed in the 15th century, but Turkey did so again in the 20th century. Unfortunately, an embarrassing episode demonstrated their remain very real limits to freedom of religion : in Turkey which only serves to demonstrate how far Muslim countries have to go when it comes to freedom of religion in Dar al Islam. Indeed, Islamist called the conference “conspiracy against Islam” and heckled Erdogan's call for Muslim-Jewish reconciliation. No, Karen Hughes is not the only one Islamists sympathizers treat badly. Imagine if he called for Turkish-Armenian reconciliation. After all, the black-red coalition is alive, well and kicking and feminists are reds.
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- In Hiroshima 71 years after first atomic strike, Obama calls for end of nuclear weapons
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize