AFIO REPORTS: WITNESS TO TESTIFY ON DESTROYED ABLE DANGER DATA
It should be interesting. I had the opportunity to listen to Curt Weldon. He impressed me not as the usual Congressman on the make. But a person who cares deeply and passionately about the fate of the country. This story is important not to our past but for our future.
The witness, who Weldon did not name, is to testify he was ordered to destroy 2.5 terabytes of data related to Able Danger and al-Qa’ida. "What were their motives? I think we have to find out," Weldon said.
Five people who were connected to Able Danger have said the program identified Mohammed Atta, the ringleader of the 9/11 attacks, as a potential threat more than a year earlier. Weldon and some of these people have also said DoD did not share with the FBI what it learned about al-Qa’ida prior to 9/11 as a result of Able Danger.
DoD officials acknowledged at a 2 September briefing that they destroyed the data. They said it was done as a matter of routine to protect the identity of U.S. persons.
Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer, an MI officer who worked on the program, has said he briefed senior officials in DoD and the White House on ways to excise U.S. persons' names without losing the entire database. DoD, Shaffer said, must have obliterated the data for another reason that it is not disclosing. (DKR)
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"