News Round Up
From CNN (May 13): U.S. interviews 'hostile' bin Laden widows, with Pakistan officials. (Note: this has to be the stupidest headline ever. Of course they are hostile to Americans who shot their husband and other friends/family members behind their own eyes. Of course they are hostile to those who shot one of them in the leg while she was trying to protect her husband. Of course, as kidnap victims now imprisoned, they are hostile. Did the U.S. expect they would 'bake a cake'?]
Three of Osama bin Laden's widows have been interviewed by U.S. intelligence officers under the supervision of Pakistani's intelligence service, according to sources in both governments. The women -- who were all interviewed together this week -- were "hostile" toward the Americans, according to a senior Pakistani government official with direct knowledge of the post-bin Laden investigation and two senior U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the matter. The eldest of the three widows spoke for the group.
From the Los Angeles Times (May 12): San Bernardino County man dies after deputies use Taser to subdue him (Note: His crime? He ran a stop sign. Father of victim calls it 'murder'. I do too.)
[Father] said witnesses told him that the deputy slammed his son to the ground. His son was Tasered about eight times by two deputies, said Jack Kephart, who dismissed assertions that his son was combative with the deputies.
comments powered by Disqus
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- In a county that tried to amend U.S. history course, a lesson in politics
- Overhauling La Guardia, an Airport With a Historical Name but a Tarnished Image
- Now it can be told: The weakening of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is the crowning achievement of GOP partisans who detested the law
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success