Scott Horton to Speak on Thursday at the University of Alabama Law School
Scott Horton, human rights attorney and editor of widely-read blog, No Comment will be in the next speaker in the Liberty and Power Lectures on Thursday, April 14.
His talk, “James Madison, Executive Powers and the Rise of the National Security State,” will begin at 5 p.m. at the Bedsole Moot Court Room at The University of Alabama School of Law.
Horton served as council to Andrei Sakharov and other activists in the former Soviet Union and cofounded the American University in Central Asia, Eurasian region. More recently, the Associated Press hired him to represent Bilal Hussein, a Pulitzer Prize winning photojournalist who the U.S. military detained for over a year. He is a co-founder of the American University in Central Asia, where he currently serves as a trustee, and has been involved in some of the most significant foreign investment projects in the Central Eurasian region. Scott recently led a number of studies of abuse issues associated with the conduct of the war on terror for the New York City Bar Association, where he has chaired several committees, including, most recently, the Committee on International Law. He is also a member of the board of the National Institute of Military Justice, the EurasiaGroup and the American Branch of the International Law Association and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
Scott’s parents came from Lawrence County, Alabama. He is a cousin of Judge James E. Horton of Limestone Co., Alabama, the judge who threw out the conviction of the “Scottsboro” boys after concluding that it was not based on the evidence—and who was then driven from the bench.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity