63% OF EGYPTIANS SUPPORT PEACE WITH ISRAEL
Egyptian Israeli peace treaty is much more popular in Egypt than we were led to believe. 63% of the Egyptians polled support it while only 14% oppose it. So, the Egyptian"street" is much less belligerent than MSM or the Egyptian intellectual elite would have you believe. I can hardly imagine better news. Egyptian elections are upon us and I hope against hope that this poll would diminish the candidates' appetite to base their campaign on Israel bashing or threats to stop honoring the treaty as the wily El Baradei did recently.
The results should help Amr Mussah, Mubarak's former foreign minister, who is viewed favorably by 80%! of the polled to stick to his guns. He surprised me favorably last month when he expressed his support to maintaining the peace treaty with Israel in a speech in Cairo where he sensibly added:
We as Egyptians have a responsibility to lay the foundations for peace... We cannot rebuild Egypt... while adopting an adventurous foreign policy."
Name recognition is his greatest ally and that advantage is bound to diminish and poll results are notoriously question dependent. Still, I suspect Mussah reads Egyptians correctly. They are focused on revitalizing their sclerotic political system and would hate to see their hard won revolutions sacrificed to anther costly loss to Israel. They may not like the Jewish state but they would like to be as prosperous and democratic as it is. People, illiterate or not, are see more clearly than elites give them credit.
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize