63% OF EGYPTIANS SUPPORT PEACE WITH ISRAEL
Egyptian Israeli peace treaty is much more popular in Egypt than we were led to believe. 63% of the Egyptians polled support it while only 14% oppose it. So, the Egyptian"street" is much less belligerent than MSM or the Egyptian intellectual elite would have you believe. I can hardly imagine better news. Egyptian elections are upon us and I hope against hope that this poll would diminish the candidates' appetite to base their campaign on Israel bashing or threats to stop honoring the treaty as the wily El Baradei did recently.
The results should help Amr Mussah, Mubarak's former foreign minister, who is viewed favorably by 80%! of the polled to stick to his guns. He surprised me favorably last month when he expressed his support to maintaining the peace treaty with Israel in a speech in Cairo where he sensibly added:
We as Egyptians have a responsibility to lay the foundations for peace... We cannot rebuild Egypt... while adopting an adventurous foreign policy."
Name recognition is his greatest ally and that advantage is bound to diminish and poll results are notoriously question dependent. Still, I suspect Mussah reads Egyptians correctly. They are focused on revitalizing their sclerotic political system and would hate to see their hard won revolutions sacrificed to anther costly loss to Israel. They may not like the Jewish state but they would like to be as prosperous and democratic as it is. People, illiterate or not, are see more clearly than elites give them credit.
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”